Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Mow Cop to Rudyard Lake

This first section was from Mow Cop to a car park at the northern end of Rudyard Lake undertaken on Sunday, 5th December, 2004. We took two cars. I was in one with Conrad Joseph and Peter Green was in the other with Keith 'Coddy' Walker, an appropriate name, (walker not coddy). We dropped Pete's car at Rudyard and piled into Conrad's car which he drove to a misty Mow Cop. Unfortunately Conrad isn't able to do the walk so he then left for home. We really appreciated his initial assistance as back up.

The walk started at 11am. We got off to a slow start because we couldn't find the official path but eventually joined it below Mow Man, a pillar of rock left by quarry workers who removed the surrounding rock. The first mile or so was on road which none of us particularly enjoy, this stretch being narrow, in places a little too narrow in view of the traffic, but it was quiet enough at that time. We eventually got onto Edge Hill having slowed down to watch some offroad type vehicles competing on a hillside track close to the road.

I don't think that I am going to cover the walk inch by inch. I have other things to do. The weather started off misty and cold, after all it is December, but we quickly warmed up and the sun poked its head out from time to time and the visibility improved. After a couple of miles we were so warm that we each took a layer of clothing off and I carried my 'Tilley' for a while in my hand.

We travelled along a disused railway for a while and then into a couple of fields leading through a farm yard. This was the first of a few very muddy sections and I managed to get a load of muddy water in my left boot. We had been on the level for quite a while but after this we started to climb up to 'The Cloud' across typical moorland having had our sarnies and coffee just inside (I think) Cloud Plantation. (I am writing this from memory as Pete has the Staffordshire Way book). On arrival at the summit some friendly walkers took our photograph next to the triangulation point. From here we could see where we had come from but couldn't see the Jodrell Bank telescope which is eight miles away, due to mist. The Cloud would be a wonderful viewing point on a clear day. As it was we still had a pretty good view and could see Rudyard Reservoir, our destination to the north east, very well. (Wonder why it's called The Cloud).

From the top we quickly dropped down to a road for a short while before turning right and through a series of fields which eventually led to an old railway track and back to Pete's car. This section was really muddy and slowed us down a lot as well being very arduous. We arrived with three inches of mud on our boots at about 4pm just as it was getting dark. That reminds me I've got to clean them before our next walk which is planned for 16th December.

According to my GPS V Cloud is 1122 feet in altitude. The walk was 11.2 miles in length. We parked the car at N 53deg 08.858' W 002 deg 05.535'. I can't see a degree sign on my keyboard. The elevation there was 377 feet. I stupidly didn't mark the elevation at Mow Cop but it is about 1020 feet if I remember rightly. On the way home I had a splitting headache and I'm sure it was dehydration that caused it so I must carry bottled water next time. I'm writing this the day after the walk. Legs aren't too bad but get the occasional twinge in the knees. Wonder how the other walkers are?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home